- Trip participants that are not UT students must be at least 18 years old to participate.
- Personal checks, Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover and cash (when registering in person) are acceptable forms of payment. Two price rates are offered.
- Currently enrolled UT students and RecSports members pay a reduced rate, while non-UT students and non-members pay the regular rate.
- Full payment and all paperwork must be received by the registration deadline for all trips.
- The University of Texas at Austin and Recreational Sports cannot be held responsible for any injury, property loss or damaged equipment while participating in an Outdoor Recreation Program activity.
- All participants must be covered by medical insurance.
- For UT students - A $5.00 per day charge will be added to the cost of the trip for those students who cannot provide proof of current medical coverage at the time of registration.
- You will not be permitted to participate if we have not received payment for this insurance or a copy of your insurance card prior to the trip departure.
- All participants will be required to complete a medical authorization form, a health history form, and a release and indemnification agreement.
Adventure Trip Participant Required Information (Digital Form)
Refunds, Cancellations and Transfers
- Cancellation dates vary for each trip. This is the date after which no refunds will be given.
- An administrative fee will be charged for all cancellations.
- Transfers may be made to another available activity at full value if done before the cancellation date. No transfers will be granted past the cancellation date.
- Recreational Sports reserves the right to cancel the trip due to insufficient registrations, inclement weather or other unforeseeable circumstances. If such a cancellation is necessary, the participant may choose between transferring to another available activity or being issued a full refund.
- For registrations paid online, approved refunds will be credited back to your credit card within 1-2 weeks. For all other approved refunds, the University Accounting Office will mail a refund check in approximately 4-6 weeks.
- If for any reason you decide not to go on the trip the morning of the trip departure, or if you are running late, please call us!
- Pre-trip meetings are mandatory for all participants and are held in the Outdoor Center (GRE 2.104).
- Participants who do not attend the pre-trip meeting for the adventure trip they are registered for will forfeit their spot on the trip and will not be eligible for a refund.
Extended Trips (5 or more days)
- Priority registration periods for UT students may be in effect for extended adventure trips.
- Personal interviews will be used on extended adventures to evaluate whether a participant’s attitude and experience level are appropriate for the trip. UT RecSports reserves the right to refuse service to individuals whom it feels may bring a detrimental attitude or variance to the cooperative adventure experience.
Trip Information Sheets
- Detailed trip information sheets are available online and include departure/return times, location descriptions, a basic gear list and general trip logistics.
- All trips require varying degrees of physical fitness. Please take the trip rating seriously. We are not qualified to evaluate your fitness level so you must evaluate your fitness level as appropriate for any given trip. If you are unsure of your physical condition, you should consult with a physician before the trip.
- If you are unable to participate fully in a trip due to inadequate fitness, your course fee will not be refunded. Additionally, it is very important that you not misrepresent your fitness level as doing so could cause the trip itinerary to be altered mid-trip to accommodate you. Having to alter a trip itinerary will have a negative impact on the experience of your peers and could lead to an emergency or rescue situation.
- If you have any special dietary needs or food allergies, please make them well known at the time you register for your trip. If you have a special dietary requirement, you may be required to pay an additional food supplement fee. This fee will be used to purchase food specifically to meet your dietary preference or need. Please contact us with any questions or concerns regarding menu planning and preparation.
- In the event of inclement weather, do not assume the trip is or will be canceled. The Outdoor Recreation Program will make that decision based on the weather report obtained for the area where the activity is planned and regardless of current conditions in Austin. You will be contacted if the trip is canceled or if the departure time has changed. Please show up and assume the trip will go if you haven’t heard otherwise from our staff prior to the trip departure.
The Fine Print
- The Outdoor Recreation program staff makes every effort to provide you with an enjoyable trip. You will assume the responsibility for many decisions affecting yourself during the activity, however, the guides have final authority and will not hesitate to dismiss those whose conduct is detrimental to themselves, the group or the activity site.
- Participants should be aware that outdoor activities can be physically demanding with inherent elements of risk and danger beyond our control. These risks include, but are not limited to, the potential for accidents or illness while traveling to and from the activity sites, or while participating in activities in rugged mountain, wilderness and river terrain. While we do not assume liability for personal injury or death, every effort is made to minimize these risks.
- No alcohol or drugs are allowed on any Outdoor Recreation program trip.