- Available for currently enrolled UT students, RecSports members and non-members.
- All classes take place in Gregory Gym and/or the Gregory Gym Natatorium. Location and parking details.
- Participants must be 15 years or older on the first day of the course in order to participate and be certified.
- Upon successful completion of all courses, an American Red Cross® certification will be issued. All certifications are valid for two years.
Registration for classes MUST be completed by the Thursday prior to class start date.
Cancellations and Refunds
- $10 cancellation fee
- Participants must request to cancel or transfer at least 5 business days before the start date. If a transfer is approved, an individual is no longer eligible for a refund.
- Make-up classes/sessions are NOT offered for participants that miss scheduled classes.
- For more information about cancellations and refunds, click here.
American Red Cross® Lifeguard Training Skills Test
To register for the Lifeguard Training course you must have completed and passed one of the following Lifeguard Training Skills Tests. The Skills Test includes successful completion of the following:
- Swim 300 yards continuously (not timed).
- Must be proficient in and demonstrate front crawl, breaststroke and rhythmic breathing.
- Tread water for two continuous minutes without support and using legs only.
- Retrieve a 10lb. brick from the bottom of the pool and then swim 20 yards with the brick (without goggles) in under 100 seconds.
- No refunds or transfers for participants who do not pass a skills test or who fail to attend the session for which they registered.
Fall 2019 Schedule
|6:00pm-7:00pm||Indoor Lap Pool|
|Wednesday||9/4||6:00pm-7:00pm||Indoor Lap Pool|
|Wednesday||9/11||6:00pm-7:00pm||Indoor Lap Pool|
|Thursday||9/12||6:00pm-7:00pm||Indoor Lap Pool|
|Monday||9/16||6:00pm-7:00pm||Indoor Lap Pool|
|Tuesday||9/17||6:00pm-7:00pm||Indoor Lap Pool|
- Receive classroom learning and hands-on practice as you train to become a lifeguard. Course elements include water and land rescue skills, first aid for injuries and sudden illnesses, spinal injury management, swimmer and facility surveillance and CPR/AED and emergency care.
- Lifeguarding, CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer certifications are valid for two years.
- Pre-requisite: Successful completion of the Lifeguard Training Skills Test.
- Participants must attend all 3 of the sessions within each class.
Fall 2019 Schedule