Check back soon for the Fall 2018 Lifeguard Training class schedule!
- Available for currently enrolled UT students, RecSports members and non-members.
- All classes take place in Gregory Gym and/or the Gregory Gym Natatorium. Location details.
- Participants must be 18 years old by the first day of the course in order to participate and become certified.
- Upon successful completion of all courses, an American Red Cross® certification will be issued. All certifications are valid for two years.
- Register for this class at the RecSports Online Store.
American Red Cross® Lifeguard Training Skills Test
To register for the Lifeguard Training course you must have completed and passed one of the following Lifeguard Training Skills Tests. The Skills Test includes successful completion of the following:
- Swim 300 yards continuously (not timed).
- Must be proficient in and demonstrate front crawl, breaststroke and rhythmic breathing.
- Tread water for two continuous minutes without support and using legs only.
- Retrieve a 10lb. brick from the bottom of the pool and then swim 20 yards with the brick (without goggles) in under 100 seconds.
- No refunds or transfers for participants who do not pass a skills test or who fail to attend the session for which they registered.
American Red Cross® Lifeguard Training
- Receive classroom learning and hands-on practice as you train to become a lifeguard. Course elements include water and land rescue skills, first aid for injuries and sudden illnesses, spinal injury management, swimmer and facility surveillance and CPR/AED and emergency care.
- Lifeguarding, CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer certifications are valid for two years.
- To register for this course you must have completed and passed a Lifeguard Training Skills Test.
- Participants must attend all 3 of the sessions within each class.