Lost Creek Wilderness Loop Trail, Colorado
Escape the Texas heat for a fun, scenic, and challenging hike through a remote area of Pike National Forest in the Colorado Rockies! Our route will cover about 30 miles of gorgeous terrain and incredible views in the Lost Creek Wilderness. The trail follows a creek off and on, descends into beautiful valleys, passes aspen meadows, and winds through massive granite rock formations.
After a motel pit stop in Tucumcari, NM on the way out, we’ll camp and spend a rest day near the trail to get acclimated before backpacking for 4 nights. With most of the hiking at elevations between 8,000 to 11,000 feet, we will take our time and move at a moderate pace.
After hiking, we’ll camp for one more night off the trail, then return to Tucumcari for some much-deserved rest. You’ll be back in Austin just in time for summer school or other summer adventures!
Trip Dates: May 27-June 5, 2019. Register by Monday, May 13.
Trip Rating: Intermediate (previous backpacking experience expected)/Moderate to Strenuous Level of Activity
Pricing: $650 - UT students/RecSports members / $800 - Non-member price
|Pre-Trip Meeting||5/14||6:30pm||Outdoor Rental Center - Gregory Gym 2.104|
|Trip Departure||5/27||7:00am||Gregory Gym|
|Trip Return||6/5||5:00pm||Gregory Gym|
- Date and time: Tuesday, May 14 at 6:30pm.
- Location: Outdoor Rental Center, Gregory Gym 2.104
- Pre-trip meetings are mandatory for all participants. Participants who do not attend the pre-trip meeting for the adventure trip they are registered for will forfeit their spot on the trip and will not be eligible for a refund.
The following list is meant to assist you in determining what equipment you will need to bring. Trip guides will review this list at the pre-trip meeting and will make changes and suggestions as needed.
- Clothes - comfortable, quick-dry, synthetic clothing appropriate in durability and temperature for the activity
- Hiking boots
- Wool or synthetic socks and underwear
- Rain gear – jacket and pants
- Water bottles or hydration pack - at least 2 liters (no glass)
- Personal items: toiletries, sunglasses, sunscreen, lip balm, personal medications, small towel, etc.
- Pack to carry your items
- Money for food during drive
- Eating utensils – spoon, travel mug, bowl or plate (no glass)
- Extra pair of shoes and dry clothes for ride home
- Cold weather gear - synthetic long underwear, fleece jacket/sweater/vest, warm outer jacket, gloves, wool or synthetic hat
- Campsite reservations
- Food during non-driving part of trip
- All group gear
- Sleeping bag and sleeping pad (upon request)
- Internal Frame Backpack (upon request)
- Cancellation Date: Friday, May 3 by 5:00pm. No refunds will be given after this date.
- Refunds will be issued, minus a $50 administrative fee for those participants who cancel by 5:00pm on the cancellation date.
- Click here to learn more about Adventure Trip policies.