Grand Staircase - Escalante National Monument, Utah
Spend your Spring Break exploring incredible trails in southern Utah with beautiful arches, canyons, lakes, and rivers!
On day one, we’ll make a pit stop for camping outside Albuquerque before heading up to Utah and camping at the trailhead. We’ll then spend four nights on the trail along our route. This will cover moderate to strenuous terrain with up to 10 miles of hiking in a day with a total distance of about 35 miles. After backpacking we’ll have a restful night in a local motel, head back to Albuquerque the next day with potential site-seeing along the way, then make our way back to Austin.
Participants are expected to have some previous backpacking experience and have been on multi-night camping trips. Be prepared to carry a backpack weighing at least 35 pounds.
Trip Dates: March 16-24. Register by Friday, March 4.
Trip Rating: Intermediate (previous backpacking experience expected)/Moderate to Strenuous Level of Activity
Pricing: $650 - UT students/RecSports members / $800 - Non-member price
|Pre-Trip Meeting||3/6||6:30pm||Outdoor Rental Center - Gregory Gym 2.104|
|Trip Departure||3/16||7:00am||Gregory Gym|
|Trip Return||3/24||5:00pm||Gregory Gym|
- Date and time: Wednesday, March 6 at 6:30pm
- Location: Outdoor Rental Center, Gregory Gym 2.104
- Pre-trip meetings are mandatory for all participants. Participants who do not attend the pre-trip meeting for the adventure trip they are registered for will forfeit their spot on the trip and will not be eligible for a refund.
The following list is meant to assist you in determining what equipment you will need to bring. Trip guides will review this list at the pre-trip meeting and will make changes and suggestions as needed.
- Clothes - comfortable, quick-dry, synthetic clothing appropriate in durability and temperature for the activity
- Hiking boots
- Wool or synthetic socks and underwear
- Rain gear – jacket and pants
- Water bottles or hydration pack - at least 2 liters (no glass)
- Personal items: toiletries, sunglasses, sunscreen, lip balm, personal medications, small towel, etc.
- Pack to carry your items
- Money for food during drive
- Eating utensils – spoon, travel mug, bowl or plate (no glass)
- Extra pair of shoes and dry clothes for ride home
- Cold weather gear - synthetic long underwear, fleece jacket/sweater/vest, warm outer jacket, gloves, wool or synthetic hat
- Campsite reservations
- Food during non-driving part of trip
- All group gear
- Sleeping bag and sleeping pad (upon request)
- Internal Frame Backpack (upon request)
- Cancellation Date: Wednesday, February 27 by 5:00pm. No refunds will be given after this date.
- Refunds will be issued, minus a $50 administrative fee for those participants who cancel by 5:00pm on the cancellation date.
- Click here to learn more about Adventure Trip policies.