Canoeing Big Bend Lower Canyons
Rio Grande Wild & Scenic River, Texas
Looking for a real adventure without the Spring Break crowds? Have you ever longed for the true desert canyon experience - dining under the stars and gently cruising the day away in your canoe? Spend a week exploring a stretch of the Rio Grande River still undeveloped and designated as “Wild and Scenic”.
This trip begins at La Linda, near Big Bend National Park, and ends at Dryden Crossing – that’s approximately 85 miles of open desert, rugged hills, and deep canyons in one of the most remote areas in the United States. This true wilderness experience will also include the occasional hike through a side canyon and a visit to a hot spring along the way to relax sore muscles.
Trip Dates: March 16-24. Register by Friday, March 7.
Trip Rating: Beginners Welcome / Moderate to Strenuous Level of Activity
Pricing: $650 - UT students/RecSports members / $800 - Non-member price
|Pre-Trip Meeting||3/10||4:00pm||Outdoor Rental Center - Gregory Gym 2.104|
|Trip Departure||3/16||6:00am||Gregory Gym|
|Trip Return||3/24||6:00pm||Gregory Gym|
- Date and time: Sunday, March 10 at 4:00pm.
- Location: Outdoor Rental Center, Gregory Gym 2.104
- Pre-trip meetings are mandatory for all participants. Participants who do not attend the pre-trip meeting for the adventure trip they are registered for will forfeit their spot on the trip and will not be eligible for a refund.
The following list is meant to assist you in determining what equipment you will need to bring. Trip guides will review this list at the pre-trip meeting and will make changes and suggestions as needed.
- Clothes for 7 days on the river and 2 on the road – comfortable, quick-dry fabrics you can get wet
- Cold weather gear - synthetic long underwear, fleece jacket/sweater/vest, warm outer jacket, gloves, wool or synthetic hat
- Athletic shoes you can get wet or river sandals with straps (no flip flops)
- Camp shoes – closed toe boots or tennis shoes
- Wool or synthetic socks and underwear
- Extra dry clothes for ride home
- Rain gear – jacket with hood and pants
- Swimsuit and towel
- Hat (recommended wide brimmed sun hat and regular hat)
- Water bottles or hydration pack - at least 2 liters (no glass)
- Personal items: toiletries, sunglasses, sunscreen, lip balm, personal medications, etc.
- Pack to carry your items
- Money for food during drive
- Eating utensils – spoon, travel mug, bowl or plate (no glass)
- Campsite reservations
- Food during non-driving part of trip
- All group gear
- Tents or tarps/ground cloths
- Sleeping bag and sleeping pad (upon request)
- Cancellation Date: Friday, March 1 by 5:00pm. No refunds will be given after this date.
- Refunds will be issued, minus a $50 administrative fee for those participants who cancel by 5:00pm on the cancellation date.
- Click here to learn more about Adventure Trip policies.