Kayaking Port Aransas
Lighthouse Lakes Park, Texas
The Aransas Bay offers some of the best paddling destinations on the Texas Coast; among those is the first paddling trail established by the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, the Lighthouse Paddling Trail. This trip features barrier island dunes, jetties, bayside marshes and mangroves around an old lighthouse that dates back to the Civil War.
Starting in Port Aransas, we will camp on the beach Friday night, then depart Saturday to paddle through Aransas Pass to circumnavigate Harbor Island. Along the journey, we will pass near the historic 1857 Lydia Ann Lighthouse on the eastern side of the island, then continue north to camp on this island Saturday night.
Trip Dates: March 1-3, 2019. Register by Monday, February 25.
Trip Rating: Beginners Welcome/Moderate Level of Activity
Pricing: $100 - UT students/RecSports members / $120 - Non-member price
|Pre-Trip Meeting||2/27||6:30pm||Outdoor Rental Center - Gregory Gym 2.104|
|Trip Departure||3/1||3:00pm||Gregory Gym|
|Trip Return||3/3||5:00pm||Gregory Gym|
- Date and time: Wednesday, February 27 at 6:30pm.
- Location: Outdoor Rental Center, Gregory Gym 2.104
- Pre-trip meetings are mandatory for all participants. Participants who do not attend the pre-trip meeting for the adventure trip they are registered for will forfeit their spot on the trip and will not be eligible for a refund.
The following list is meant to assist you in determining what equipment you will need to bring. Trip guides will review this list at the pre-trip meeting and will make changes and suggestions as needed.
- Clothes – comfortable, quick-dry fabrics you can get wet
- Athletic shoes you can get wet or river sandals with straps (no flip flops)
- Closed toe tennis shoes or boots for camp
- Extra dry clothes for ride home
- Rain gear – jacket and pants
- Swimsuit and towel
- Water bottles or hydration pack - at least 2 liters (no glass)
- Personal items: toiletries, sunglasses, sunscreen, lip balm, personal medications, etc.
- Pack to carry your items
- Money for food during drive
- Eating utensils – spoon, travel mug, bowl or plate (no glass)
- Campsite reservations
- Food during non-driving part of trip
- All group gear
- Sleeping bag and sleeping pad (upon request)
- Cancellation Date: Friday, February 22 by 5:00pm. No refunds will be given after this date.
- Refunds will be issued, minus a $20 administrative fee for those participants who cancel by 5:00pm on the cancellation date.
- Click here to learn more about Adventure Trip policies.