Surfing Padre Island
Padre Island National Seashore, Texas
This trip is designed for beginner/intermediate surfers and paddleboarders to practice, have fun, and camp on the beach! We will teach you all the basics of getting out on the waves and move to various spots along the seashore, depending on conditions.
Padre Island National Seashore, the longest undeveloped barrier island in the world, stretches for 110 miles along the Texas Gulf Coast. The national seashore occupies over 80 miles of uninhabited island paradise, a place where white sand beaches are caressed by the warm and gentle waters of the Gulf of Mexico. The park protects 70 miles of coastline, dunes, prairies, and wind tidal flats teeming with life. It is a safe maritime nesting ground for the Kemp’s Ridley sea turtle and a haven for 380 bird species. Padre Island National Seashore also has a rich history, including the Spanish shipwrecks of 1554.
Trip Dates: April 26-28. Register by Monday, April 22.
Trip Rating: Beginners Welcome/Easy Level of Activity
Pricing: $100 - UT students/RecSports members / $120 - Non-member price
|Pre-Trip Meeting||4/24||6:30pm||Outdoor Rental Center - Gregory Gym 2.104|
|Trip Departure||4/26||3:00pm||Gregory Gym|
|Trip Return||4/28||5:00pm||Gregory Gym|
- Date and time: Wednesday, April 24 at 6:30pm.
- Location: Outdoor Rental Center, Gregory Gym 2.104
- Pre-trip meetings are mandatory for all participants. Participants who do not attend the pre-trip meeting for the adventure trip they are registered for will forfeit their spot on the trip and will not be eligible for a refund.
The following list is meant to assist you in determining what equipment you will need to bring. Trip guides will review this list at the pre-trip meeting and will make changes and suggestions as needed.
- Clothes – comfortable, quick-dry fabrics you can get wet
- Athletic shoes you can get wet or river sandals with straps (no flip flops)
- Closed toe tennis shoes or boots for camp
- Extra dry clothes for ride home
- Rain gear – jacket and pants
- Swimsuit and towel
- Water bottles or hydration pack - at least 2 liters (no glass)
- Personal items: toiletries, sunglasses, sunscreen, lip balm, personal medications, etc.
- Pack to carry your items
- Money for food during drive
- Eating utensils – spoon, travel mug, bowl or plate (no glass)
- Campsite reservations
- Food during non-driving part of trip
- All group gear
- Sleeping bag and sleeping pad (upon request)
- Cancellation Date: Friday, April 19 by 5:00pm. No refunds will be given after this date.
- Refunds will be issued, minus a $20 administrative fee for those participants who cancel by 5:00pm on the cancellation date.
- Click here to learn more about Adventure Trip policies.