Generous donations from former employees and participants have created endowed scholarships in order to award exemplary individuals who provide outstanding leadership and vision, go above and beyond their responsibilities on a regular basis and represent Recreational Sports in a positive and favorable manner. Scholarship recipients will be those who demonstrate initiative and who serve as role models for their peers.
- Applicants must have worked at least three complete semesters for RecSports. Semesters do not need to have been consecutive and summers can count towards the total if you worked the entire summer (both summer sessions). The semester in which the application is submitted may count as long as the applicant works the entire semester. Work history will be verified through supervisor and/or RecSports Human Resources.
- Awards may be made to students in their final year prior to graduation if a less than a full-time course load will enable them to complete their degree.
- Applicants must be enrolled in the spring 2020 semester and working at RecSports in order to receive an award.
- Previous recipients of any of the RecSports scholarships are not eligible.
♦ Satisfactory Academic Progress, as defined by the University of Texas at Austin Office of Student Financial Services. Each applicant's eligibility will be verified by the Office of Student Financial Services prior to consideration of the application.
♦♦ Must be an official for the Intramural Sports program.
♦♦♦ Primary consideration will be given to applicants who are planning to work in a field related to medicine or health care.
♦♦♦♦ Military connection required. Candidates must satisfy at least one of the following requirements; 1) Be a veteran of the U.S. military who was honorably discharged from service; 2) Be enrolled in any Reserve Officers Training Corps (ROTC) program; 3) Be committed to post-graduate military training and/or service; 4) Be a child of a veteran satisfying criteria #1 above.
- Scholarships are awarded through the Office of Student Financial Services after spring enrollment has been verified.
- Students with previously awarded financial aid may see their total financial aid package reduced by the amount of the award if their total funding package exceeds the cost of attendance.
- Financial aid reductions are not always mandatory or automatic, it is case by case, and when reduction is required, Student Financial Services will reduce loans first.
- Additional questions about how receiving a Recreational Sports scholarship could potentially affect your financial aid should be directed to the Office of Financial Services.
- All scholarship applicants will be notified in early February by Recreational Sports of whether or not they are the recipient of an award.
The 2019-2020 Scholarship Application will open on Monday, August 26, 2019 at 10:00am CDT. Applications are due on Monday, December 9, 2019 at 10:00am CDT. All applications must be submitted online.
Applicants need only submit one application and are only eligible to receive one award. Completed online applications must include:
- Essay (labeled with your last name: lastname_essay)
- Resume (one PDF uploaded as part of the online application; labeled with your last name: lastname_resume)
Completion of the online scholarship application
A selection committee will review applications and rate them on the following:
- Effectiveness of essay (i.e. content, grammar)
- Resume presentation and format
- Length of RecSports employment
The Hart Scholarships are awarded to the two students with the highest scores in the review process, followed by the next highest scores receiving the Dison and Childs Scholarships (pending additional scholarship requirements are met). The remaining finalists are slated for each of the remaining awards based on the criteria/connection to those endowments.
All scholarship recipients will be asked to submit handwritten thank you letters to scholarship donors and will be invited to attend a special event where they will be recognized.
Please contact Randall Ford at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 512.475.7170.